Sunday, June 04, 2006

Free Vintage Patterns on the Internet

The Kitchener Bitch is posting free vintage knitting patterns on her blog. Go to her site and see for yourself. In addition to being a fabulous knitter, she has a vast knowledge of all things vintage from her days as a dealer of vintage clothes. (She still has some snazzy duds in her basement and if you ask her nicely, she may let you go shopping down there.)

This got me to thinking about vintage knitting patterns and how they never seem to work out as I hope. I have a whole box full of vintage patterns and I have tried a few out, but they always end up looking too modern. I can match the gauge and fiber content of the original yarn, but I can't replicate that "folded in a hope chest for the last fifty years" look that all my real vintage sweaters seem to have. Maybe I expect too much. Or maybe the problem is I am viewing the items in color (as opposed to faded sepiatones.) I can't find the site from which I printed a bulk of patterns. I stumbled upon it awhile back, during the internet's lower school years, and haven't visited the website this century, so it is entirely possible the website has ceased to exist or has changed beyond recognition. So I cannot show you a side by side comparison of pictures of my finished objects and pictures of how the objects were supposed to look. Of course, all this talk of vintage knitting is causing me to wonder if any of my finished objects live up to my expectations.

In addition to the Kitchener Bitch, there are some other rocking websites offering free vintage patterns. Glamarama has some amazing sweaters as well as patterns for baby soakers (I gave up on the cloth diapers a few months back, but I keep saying that we will start them up again when Julian approaches potty training.) Yesterknits allows you to order one free sample (and I am planning on ordering the cross over jumper.) Yarn Lover's Room has vintage lace. All this talk is making me wonder what the heck I am doing sitting at the computer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home