Monday, April 24, 2006

Lace Knitting, Where Have You Been All My Life?

If I had known of the instant gratification which lace knitting offers, something I had previously thought to be impossible to find in the world of knitting, I would probably have dedicated myself to lace and only lace all these years.

I went from picture one to picture two in under a week, knitting in my spare time (i.e. after Julian went to bed at night, but before I passed out from exhaustion myself.)

The shawl is a variation of a pattern in a Vogue Knitting from 1994. (It's panels of a travelling fern lace stitch separated with panels of seed stitch. I would post the pattern, but I am unsure about copywright infringement. However, there is a very nice triangular shawl (she calls it the Kiri Shawl) with a fern pattern which you can find here.)

Then I whipped up a scarf in two days (I know, I said all of this in my last post. But I have pictures now.) The scarf has a border of seed stitch and a center panel in leaf lace stitch (though they look more like diamonds to me.)

Of course, I haven't produced anything else since then. But family drama and a small active toddler who loves to play in the sunshine are to blame, not lace knitting.

I have spent the week trying to make a hat to match the scarf and have decided it is, perhaps, not worth it (a lace scarf is useful, a lace hat may give you hat head, but won't keep your head warm.) I think I may make another scarf (skinnier) with the rest of the mohair.

1 Comments:

Blogger knottygnome said...

a lovely stole, and i like your scarf too. mohair *is* really special, isn't it?

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home