Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Weekend Events

I finished a pair of socks for Fred (using the same gray merino I used for the scarf I made for our friend, Laddie.) I also made a wasabi green merino wool hat for Julian. I would post photos of these lovely finished objects except I can't because our digital camera is not working. I have no idea what is wrong with it, it worked fine before we left the city on Saturday morning, but not Saturday night. Maybe it was the humidity, or being wrapped in a black dress and dragged up to Wisconsin, or Julian dropping it on Easter (we knew that would catch up with us eventually.)

It is an extremely sad thing because, in addition to the finished objects, I also bought some lovely yarn this weekend when I visited the llama farm.

Yes, you read that correctly, my parents' place in Wisconsin is within a mile of a farm which raises llamas and cows. The truly scandalous piece of information is that I have been driving by this llama farm for the past 5 years and never turned into the driveway (alright, we did go once, when Joel and Julie came up for the weekend. But it was cold and rainy and that was the weekend Julian put his hands on the oven, so I wasn't able to take in details. We only noticed the yarn store, but failed to appreciate the significance.) I avoided going because I didn't want to bother people and I didn't know what I was missing.

The fiber studio sells llama wool (as well as a nice variety of yarn you can find elsewhere. And roving, lots of roving) but they also teach spinning classes and sell spinning wheels. While I bought some lovely sock yarn (in color #69, to make Fred another pair of socks) and reevaluated my feelings regarding making my own yarn, Fred, Julian, and my dad watched the cows being fed and the llamas being sheared.

We went back on Monday because I wanted a photo of Julian petting the llamas (although it will take weeks before we get the film developed) and Brigitte took us into the llama pen while they were eating. I bought about 14 ounces of her handspun llama wool (about 12 oz. of a dark brown which will match my shearling coat and 2 oz in black) which is so soft and beautiful and will make a lovely hat (and maybe mittens, or maybe a scarf. I may not have bought enough, but I know where I can get more.)

But, as I said, I can't show you any photos because my digital camera is broken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home