Friday, July 21, 2006

Olivia's Blanket


A lacy soft blanket for my cousin's new baby.

I made it extra long because I made her older sister's blanket extra long. Abigail said to me the other day, "Alison, your blanket is still too big for me." It's nice to think I am making them things they can grow into, although I worry that Abigail may grow into a healthy dislike of sea green before she is "big enough" for the blanket. Oh well, I made that blanket over five years ago and Abigail has so many blankets to choose from, I can't be all that surprised if it gets edged out by other, fuzzier items. However, I have learned a lot since making that blanket and was committed to making a fuzzy blanket for Olivia. I will have pictures of Olivia with her blanket in a couple of days.

Materials: #10 circular needle (can use straight needles as well, I used circular so I could stretch it out as I was knitting.)
Size J crochet hook
1 skein Bernat Baby Boucle and 1 skein Bernat Soft Boucle (I had a skein of the Soft Boucle from years ago lying around and when I found I needed more, I could only find the right color in the Baby Boucle. It seems identical except the Baby Boucle is sold in 4 oz. skeins while the Soft Boucle is sold in 5 oz. skeins.)
A small amount of Lion Brand Homespun Yarn in Cream was used to bind off.

Using a provisional cast on method of your choosing (I use the one described by Barbara Walker in Knitting from the Top) cast on 59 stitches.

Work rows 1-4 in seed stitch (*K1, P1* repeat, end with K1)

Begin Lace Pattern (The first and last five stitches of every row are to be worked in seed stitch. The following lace pattern is to be used for the middle 49 stitches.)
Row 1: *K1, yo, Sl 1, K1, psso, K1, K2 tog, yo* repeat, K1
Row 2 and all even rows: P
Row 3: *K2, yo, K3, yo, K1* repeat
Row 5: K2 tog *yo, Sl 1, K1, psso, K1, K2 tog, yo, Sl1, K2 tog, psso* repeat, on the last pattern repeat, end with a Sl 1, K1 (as opposed to the K2 tog), psso
Row 7: *K1, K2 tog, yo, K1, yo, Sl 1, K1, psso* repeat
Row 9: *K2, yo, K3, yo, K1* repeat
Row 11: *K1, K2 tog, yo, Sl1, K2 tog, psso, yo, sl 1, K1, psso* repeat, K1

Repeat twelve rows until blanket is desired length (in my case, that was aroun 4 feet, unblocked)

Work four rows in seed stitch.

Pick up live stitches from waste thread at beginning of work. Carefully unravel the original cast on row of stitches.

Crochet bind off live stitches on both ends: Single crochet into live stitch, *ch. 2, sc next live stitch* repeat until all live stitches have been crocheted.

Weave in the yarn tails.

Block.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Extremely lovely, Alison. You're a born knitter.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

So cool. Are we going to get pics of the baby with it??

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home